Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Swirling sand and sawing logs

My sister Greta and her family arrived yesterday afternoon to visit for the week. It was so fun to see little Abby & Emma playing with their cousin Wyatt for the first time. They did so well holding him. They are getting in some good practice for when their little baby brother arrives in a few months.


Emma & Wyatt


Today we went to the beach with Greta & Shawn. It was quite the eventful trip. I had set up our big umbrella so that it blocked the sun and breeze and then laid Wyatt down on a blanket to sleep under its protection. All was well until a sudden gust of air swirled some sand around the umbrella and left a fine dusting of sand all over Wyatt. I almost hit the panic button. Luckily Greta was quick with the wipes and I got his poor little face wiped off before any got in his eyes or mouth (or at least I don't think any got in there).

Wyatt at the beach (before the sandstorm)

The second event of the day occured while we were eating some sandwiches. I was sitting in my beach chair with Wyatt on my right arm and holding a ham sandwich with my left hand. I had just taken a second bite out of sandwich when a dumb bird swooped down and snatched the entire sandwich out of my hand. This time I did hit the panic button. I started shrieking and yelling semi-obscenities at the cluster of birds devouring my sandwich a few yards away. Poor Wyatt was rudely awakened from his sleep and I succeded in permantly destroying my niece Abby's relationship to anything with feathers. She is now deathly afraid of birds and spent the rest of the day paranoid that one of the birds would swoop down and get her (or her sandwich, or her soda, or her chips, and so on and so forth). I officially apologize to Greta & Shawn for scarring their firstborn child for life. I will spend the rest of the week attempting to undo the damage.


Below is some footage I shot this morning. Make sure the volume on your computer is turned up when you view. Wyatt is starting to sound a little like his Grandpa Yoder. :o)
Sawing logs

1 comment:

  1. haha, sounds like Gary!! what a beautiful little boy!! that video was hilarious :) Love ya and miss you all-- Shannon and girls

    ReplyDelete